Saturday, November 19, 2011

HARLEY owners, I have a 98 wide glide, 50K miles, what is the average life expect. of the belt?

I drive very conservatively, will I notice slipping or any symptoms as a warning..|||The drive belt easy to change? what HD are you riding (buell or sportster?)


The big twins need the primary removed, and the swing arm, not something you can do on the side of the road. the repair kit pretty much destroys the sprockets, but it will get you home.


Check belt teeth frequently, as soon as you see any seperation, get it changed. biggest problem is too tight, too loose and out of line.|||depends on your riding habits. i know some guys that only got 15k out of theirs, i have put over 45k on mine and it still looks great. all the teeth are there, no cracks.





just check it real good.|||Change it !!!!!!! It's well past time.


Save the heartache of having it break while you're out have'n fun..


Oh and believe me ..it will be on a day when the temp is 104 and you are 15 miles from anywhere on a side road with 0 traffic and no cell towers.|||I have a 95 wide glide. I got 50k miles on my bike, and the belt is original. It looks ok. No cracks or frays, etc. You should have a service manual for your bike. They cost about 50 bucks, but well worth the dough. It will tell you everything you need to know about inspecting and servicing your bike.|||take your hand and and fell around the theeth of the belt and spot the belt for crack's but when it goes it's going to go.|||As long as your not dumping the clutch and pouring it on it should last quite some time.Carry a spare they are easy to change,also harley has a repair kit that will get you home if it snaps.However if it were me I would convert to a chain.I run a big inch engine and like to drag race,ever see a sport bike with a belt? no and its because they break.|||I got a '93 heritage and the belt has about 90,000 miles on it and still looks good. I think about changing it every one in a while as a preventative measure but I've seen new belts break. I look it over pretty close if I'm going out of town and hope. My manual doesn't show a preventive time to change it. so I'd say if you'd feel better about having a new on change it, or if it looks worn. I guess I'm trusting to luck because it is certainly a major chore to change it, so if it breaks on the road it's a wrecker bill plus the shop bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment