Saturday, November 19, 2011

What's the shelf life of an automotive drive belt?

I bought a timing belt recently from a store and I didn't install it. It's date of manufacture was in 2000. Is it still safe to use? I know rubber degrades over time.|||I wouldn't put it in my vehicle. Return it and buy from a store that has fresh stock.|||As long as your car doesn't have an "interference" engine, it would probably be worth using.





Generally speaking belts should be replaced roughly every seven years, but a belt failure can cause catastrophic damage to an interference engine.





Do not use that belt if you have an interference engine.|||Good question.





It should still be good though. I never heard of someone buying a brand new belt on the shelf and that it snapped soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment