Saturday, November 19, 2011

What is the quality of life like, today, for LGBT people in very conservative areas of the US (ie bible belt)?

Personal stories welcome.|||I had to go talk to a youth officer or something like that once..... She ended up making me cry. Well anyway she apologized and stuff like that after my mother explained my situation better to her. I get respect from staffs at places like schools, I've never been discriminated against by any church or religious person.... I live in northeastern Tennessee and its pretty bad around here when it comes to the general public, but I'm not complaining too bad.|||the only time i think about the bible belt is when i need an example of mass brainwashing and tribal society based on deity worship.


as for quality of life, i wouldn't know, though i would guess it would be substandard.|||Good question but I don't know. I've only lived in San Francisco, Berkeley and now Los Angeles.|||I live in NC and certain cities are very gay friendly, especially college towns (Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Asheville). However there are many more small towns than there are college towns and and the small towns typically consist of redneck fundamentalist christians who jump people for being gay. Literally, I went to a christian high school in a small town and an openly gay student at the school got jumped by 3 "christians" but he was the one who got suspended because the 3 guys claimed he started it even though they had him in a corner kicking and beating him. So it really all depends on where you live and who you associate with. I live in one of the college towns now so I experience no prejudice or homophobia. On campus I can actually hold my bf's hand and not get shot by a crazy homophobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment