Saturday, November 19, 2011

Why is it that flotation devices or life belts for water safety do not seem to work?

I have a lot of trouble getting them to work. They seem to hold me in an upright postion when I am in the water. I therefore cannot actually float or propel myself forward in them. As well, when I am wearing an inflatable vest, my head tends to try to slip right through the centre of it.





Do you think that swimming courses should offer special training in the wearing of and staying afloat in one of these devices?|||PFD's are designed to hold your head out of the water in case you are knocked unconscious. not really designed for swimming.|||Thanks for all the answers. I received a lot of really good ones.

Report Abuse


|||If you head slips through a life vest, tighten the belts up, its too lose.





Life belts are for floatation so you do not get exhausted and drown. They indeedy do work.|||Inflatable vests are a pain in the rear end.





I'd get a solid foam core PFD.|||All good answers. I would add that yes you should practice in the water with a life jacket and swim courses should and do include life jacket use and swimmining in one. The belts are not acceptable to the coast guard because they do not hold the head above water. Do adjust your vest so that your head does not slip down or get a new jacket that fits better.|||PFD's should be:





- Coast Guard approved


- In good and serviceable condition


- The appropriate size for the intended user





They come in five different types. You can all types and see exactly what they are meant to be used for, here: http://www.boat-ed.com/ar/handbook/pfds.鈥?/a>





Swimming courses are structured to teach people to swim and to tread water if necessary. PFD training is reserved for those who take lifeguard, boating, or sailing courses.





PFD's are designed to hold you in an upright position and in some cases to flip you on your back and tilt your head slightly. It sounds like you are looking for something you can swim in - that's against their general design and purpose.|||PDFs are intended to keep you alive, not help you swim.


Swimming courses will probably not help teach you how to swim with these on, unless they are private lessons where you have 1 on 1 instruction. However, there may be classes through the Red Cross called Community Water Safety. I say that because I was certified to teach it when I received my lifeguard instructor certification. Contacting your local Red Cross office may be the best way to find out about all of your questions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment