Friday, December 9, 2011

Can this argument be used to defend disciplining your child with a belt?

"If that were your son, would you want him Tased or hit by a car? The deputy made the right decision. . . . It could have saved [the boy's] life."





Replace "Tased" with "spanked", and then re-read the sentence.





http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-taser19sep19%2C0%2C2376553.story?coll=la-home-center





I would rather my child be spanked, than electrocuted. Shouldn't we take up the Tasers, and issue the cops belts?|||Wow if I cop tased my child I would so be in jail for assult on a police officer.. Hopefully my husband wouldn't be there also, b/c he would be too and we would need someone to sue the heck out of the police dept. ..





That being said my daughter got away from me in the parking lot when she was about 3.5 years old, and yes she got spanked. With my hand through her diaper, that was the only time she has ever been spanked.|||first of all your question isn't even clear. are you asking whether people should see the correlation between spanking your kids with belts, and cops using tasers, or are you asking if cops should use belts instead of tasers?|||That 's just horrible! I can't believe police can do this and get away with it. I can't imagine what I'd do if this happened to my child.|||What shocks and make me sick all at the same time, when cops use these taser there is usually only ONE person they are trying to stop and TWO or THREE cops trying to stop them.





Like the kid at the John Kerry speech, Four or what five cops couldn't subdue ONE kid.





Or the lady in Ohio that was drunk and how many cops couldn't get her to stop kicking the window.





OH MY GOD!!





Dont' get me wrong, I think cops are important and I am glad that some are around.





BUT... these ones are just big stinking, F*CKING babies that are trying to prove they are in change and can do what they want and think they can get away with it all..





Some one needs to tase them for a few minutes.|||I believe in a good spanking, but I think a belt is a little over the line. And the boy in the article was autistic, therefore yes the police man saved his life and did the right thing, however I think spanking him as a preventative measure would have been inappropriate.


Might I add that I only read the headline and not the whole story, so I'm not really sure they should have tasered him at all|||Good point. Spank your children when they are young (when necessary) and they will not have to be spanked by police (with a taser) when they are older.





Not mention in the articles you posted, but I wonder if the kid at John Kerry's speech that got tased was spanked as a child? Probably not.|||Don't really know what this has to do with spanking. Personally I never used a belt to spank with, but know some who do. As long as they spank with in the law (no bruise, or other permanent marks), and it's being done on the bottom, I fully support it.





If that were my boy, I'd be OK with the force the police used.|||Both situations are very sad, but I don't think any kind of discipline prior to the event would have made any difference. The boy was autistic, which makes him incapable of normal communication and understanding, particularly with people he doesn't know. Sometimes medication helps, but it wasn't mentioned if he was on any kind of medication. Could the police have handled this differently? Maybe. Remember, he was running in traffic. Could the parents have handled the boy's illness differently from the very beginning? Probably.





The mentally ill woman in the wheelchair was a danger to herself and to others. There was no way the police could see into the woman's chest to know she had heart problems. This looks like another case of somebody not taking the medication she was prescribed. I agree that multiple tasering is wrong. What did they do before they had tasers? There probably is a police procedure for this situation, but the officers used the easiest thing. I'm not sure it is a homicide, but if multiple taser strikes were used and there was an alternative, then, yes, it was homicide.





Sure, we feel sorry for the people that were harmed, but if you have to blame someone, the entire blame doesn't rest with the policemen. They have such a difficult job.|||Have you ever seen a person be tased? It seems pretty shocking (no pun intended) and it can put a full grown man to his knees, in these cases it probably only needed one zap to take the person down. The autistic boy should have been tased for his protection. But the cops seemed to go crazy with the handicapped women. Both these people were mentally unstable. You can't use that as an excuse to spank you child with a belt.|||The cops was in an awkward situation. There was not only his life at risk but the lives of other motorists. This boy has autism and unless you have a child with such an illness you dont know how you would discipline them.|||It's totally different, it was to protect him then, that second, from the traffic. If hitting my child with a belt would somehow get him out of imminent danger of something much worse, then yes I'd do it. I can't imagine a situation where it would.





I once grabbed my running child by the hair to stop her going into the road, I'd no-brained and not put the harness on her when I got her out of the car. It pulled a few hairs out by the roots and hurt her enough to make her scream. But it stopped her being run over. That doesn't mean I consider pulling a child's hair out to be an appropriate method of discipline.|||A belt is always a good option.

No comments:

Post a Comment