Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Does a purple belt qualify a person to teach BJJ and open their own dojo?

My brother asked me if a jujitsu school was good in the state where he lives. I haven't seen a dojo run by a purple belt. So is a purple belt a level where they often teach?|||In martial arts that use a color rank system, be it belt, sash, or any other variation, it is customary that a rank of black is merely a master of the basics, not a master entirely. This being the case, I wouldn't feel comfortable learning from or recommending anybody to a teacher of only a purple belt rank as the main/head/chief/lead instructor.





Now in direct response to your question: there are no qualifications of any sort what so ever for running a school! Sadly, one could read a book, watch a movie, or take a month's worth of lessons and if he/she has the capital to back it up, open a school and institute a training program. In that regard, sure, a purple belt is fine for opening a school - I would just steer clear of it!|||I don't think so.|||Not sure if it is good enough to open your own school.





But I have seen it plenty of times in BJJ. At purple you know the techniques, getting up in belt level is just a matter of time and success. I would say that a lay person, or even a minorly experienced person could earn a lot from a BJJ purple belt, provided he has some solid lineage. (A Machado, Gracie, etc).





Enough to open your own dojo? I could see as a means of starting out, hoping to bring a black belt in at some time. I guess a lot of depends on if you can get insured at a purple belt level.





Honestly it is not unheard of, I have seen BJJ places open up with a purple belt being the highest belt, then they eventually bring in a black belt, or the purple belt rises up in rank as his students do.





Sometimes a purple belt will open a club, but bring a black belt in to test and award rank to his students.





In a good BJJ school a purple belt will often be teaching intermediate and beginning classes.





So it is legitimate, but buyer beware. Find out what their lineage is, how they intend to promote you, and what the price is.





Obviously if I am learning from a purple belt, I don't expect to pay the same amount as if I was learning from a black belt in BJJ.





Also competetion results would be a big thing I would look for. Has this guy competed on a National or International level, has he had success in BJJ or NAGA competetions?





I have seen purple belt ran BJJ dojos in smaller areas, it isn't unheard of, and there is a lot that can be learned if you are new to grappling and BJJ.





And look at it this way, he will probably be a brown belt before you are a blue belt, and will be a black belt before you are a purple belt.





(Speaking you, as if I was talking to your brother).





Lineage is key, if he is a legit purple belt under someone noteworthy and he has some competetion success, then I would definately go for it if I was new to BJJ. I would expect to pay for a purple belt though, which means 50 to 60 bucks or so depending on the area. I wouldn't pay 100 bucks a month for instruction from someone who is not a black belt.





Just my two cents...|||that is rediculous, did you extensively study this, are you sure they were not just sitting in for the instruc, for a lower belt class?





what art?





if thats true then the dojo can never get you to black belt -.- they'r prolly not cirtified either.








lol im going to leave now,|||No, a purple belt is not at all qualified to run a dojo. A registered black belt should be available at all times for students. A purple belt may be qualified to instruct lower level students with the supervision of a black belt instructor, but not without.|||I don't think that they would qualify to open their own dojo, but they can certainly teach the basics to a beginning class. If they open their own dojo, they should bring in a black belt to test and certify all promotions. Many dojos allow purple belts to instruct, but they charge less for purple belt instructors than brown or black belt instruction. Keep in mind that BJJ is extremely stingy with its promotions compared to other arts, and getting a purple belt in BJJ is a major accomplishment.|||I am a purple belt and i have been teaching classes the day


i got my blue belt. My instructor is a black under Alliance and he recieved his black in 4 1/2 years. Yes he is a far better grappler than ill ever be, but he tells me all the time that i am a far better instructor. It doesnt matter what belt you are if you cannot relate the material to your students then you are not qualified to run your own school.





I dont feel confident in running my own academy as a purple because i cannot promote people to a purple belt level but once i am brown i will look for that opportunity!





Bottom line if you are learning and the instructor has good credentials then dont worry about belt just enjoy the learning process!!|||Yes, actually it does. Even some higher Blue belts can teach.





BJJ/GJJ is different from most other martial arts. First, it is one of the only ones that works. Second, BJJ belts tend to stand for something. Nobody in the US has gotten a black belt in less than 4 years, as it usually takes eight or more years, except The Prodigy, BJ Penn. Purple belts are considered pretty competent ground-fighters, and Black belts are considered experts.





So Purple belts, one rank under 1st Degree Black, are in fact allowed to teach in their own schools. They cannot, though, promote someone to a belt too close to theirs, a general martial arts rule.|||Assuming the instructor was still learning what they need from someone qualified I'd say yes. If I recall correctly (it's been a while since my BJJ days), the purple belt in BJJ is more of a transitional phase between being a very solid blue and a good brown belt.





I've seen BJJ classes ran by experienced blue belts when no higher ranks were present so I don't see a reason why a purple belt couldn't run a good solid class.|||Yes as long as they are tied to a Gracie or someone like that. People don't realize that a purple in BJJ is not like a purple in Karate|||I've never trained under a purple belt as the head instructor but I do know that a purple belt runs the BJJ program at Kurt Pellegrino's gym in New Jersey. The guy posts to Subfighter.com all the time and gives out really good training tips, he's very well respected on that site which is full of knowledgable grapplers (Subfighter is one of the most reputeable BJJ/grappling/MMA sites around). Here's an example of what he posts. http://www.subfighter.com/forum/viewtopi鈥?/a>





I believe he also runs the grapplersguide.com website as well.





If you want information about the specific school your brother is considering attending, just go to Subfighter and ask in one of the forums. They have over 80,000 members, chances are somebody has trained there or with the instructor and can give you some valuable feedback.





Oh yeah, and what Judomofo said.





Edit:


Forgot to mention, a purple belt instructor should bring in a black or brown for testing, someone with solid credentials/lineage. My instructor is a brown and brings in his old blackbelt coach when we test, he received his black under the Machados.





And remember, just because you're a black belt doesn't mean you're a good coach. I have met several purples in training that are better instructors than some black belts. Also, as long as they are better than you, you can still learn something from them just by rolling with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment