Friday, December 9, 2011

What are your personal feelings if a student approached you wanting to become a black belt?

I'm saying if they know that there is much more to learn beyond a Shodan, but they only wanted to reach that level and then would move on with their life afterward, not train in another system. What are your feeling?|||In my experience yet nobody did it to me, but whatever it will happen then I would be surprise knowing important things had been explain to the new comer on our dojo regarding the system and rules run on practice area. Ranks are traditionally promoted to adopt proper procedure and syllabus being issued on every practitioner according to his level of skills; these are explained well for everybody鈥檚 awareness.





By then, if someone approach me and ask for Black belt promotion then I won鈥檛 allow it to do so, because if such will be tolerated then gap between my students will occur, you will expect changes on their attitude and behavior and will lessen their respect on an Instructor due to favoritism factor that will run on their mind.





I always tell them, belt is just a piece of cloth hang in our waist, the most important things are the skills and knowledge you achieve through step by step development, time will mold you into a model person as a set of example not only by themselves but as well to the new comer who embrace things that emphasize on the gym, so many people around holding higher belts who don鈥檛 even knows full understanding what Martial arts and self defense means.





We are aware that self defense are not only on physical way, someone will test you by asking questions regarding the discipline you taught, what are your purposes or any other related questions that will put you into shame, if a rank holder under any Instructors are not yet prepared to face the new consequences holding the rank of Black Belt, then who's name will ruined, of course an Instructor who promoted him.





Good luck|||If I can teach a student long enough to become a black belt, I think that in itself is a really good thing. I would have the student for several years and in that time I would try to instill a love for learning and not for ranks. It can be done.


Look at it this way. How many students stick it out for even a year? A lot come in with new year resolutions of losing weight and getting fit and are gone 2 months later. The turnover rate in martial arts is incredibly high. Kids are here one month and then gone the next to play ball or pursue some other activity. The MMA hype does not help either. The students stay long enough to learn to tie their belt and then they are off to pursue some other martial art to 'compliment' what you are teaching and in most cases it only turns out to make your job harder to keep them on the right track. I had a student who got his @$$ whooped in tournaments in fighting because he took his 'superior' boxing 'experience' to Karate tournaments. Nothing against boxing but you need to take it into the boxing ring and play by their rules. He never caught on that his demise might be that he had no clue how to use his legs or how to defend against kicks among other things. To all this I do prefer someone who will commit himself for a few years to learn. After all I do teach for the student not to please myself. It is their life and I hope that after a few years I will have had a positive influence on their lives. I think as a teacher this is what it is all about.|||Em alright i'm nowhere near black-belt myself %26amp; i assume that this is a situation with one of your students.


To be honest have a talk with him, chances are if he's saying that to you %26amp; you care about it, then he has been at your dojo for a fair amount of time. So you should have a general idea of his personality %26amp; character, talk to him %26amp; tell him that there is more to it than just a black belt (you know mention the usual s*it all the TCs mention in answers here)


Find out why he wants to quit after a black-belt is he just sick of Karate %26amp; needs a break?


Will he be moving away or is there something blocking his training in his life?





As we all know there is more to 99% of martial arts than just fighting aspects %26amp; maybe he would like to study into the history of the art, or maybe certain styles/internal aspects.


To be honest unless he is just sick of Karate or has a damn good reason to quit, i don't think he just wants to ''get on with his life'' maybe he is scared to tel you the real reason.


Just sit down with him %26amp; as his personal trainer %26amp; friend (to an extent) talk to him about it in a relaxed enviorment|||I am not offended by students who want to achieve their black-belt and then move on and not continue to pursue martial arts or pursue it at a level that they did before. Careers, family, and other things overtake some people or they may have found a new passion or activity which takes them away from martial arts. Reaching that level with me is an accomplishment that takes time, dedication, and effort and while there is much beyond that not everyone is going to continue in their training and studying of martial arts. To me that in some ways does not negate what they have already achieved.|||It would be tempting to send them away. It would depend on the person and the situation. I've had some like that that I sent away and have never been sorry I did. A few I decided to teach. I guess it would come down to their attitude. No one really knows how long someone will train once they start. If the prospective student has an attitude, I will try to explain things to them. If they still have an attitude, I'll send them on their way. It is not worth my time to train someone that is not going to develop their skills, has no intention of developing them, or just wants to get a black belt. BUT, some people have an incorrect view of what the martial arts are about, and what it takes to become proficient at them. Some of these people can be educated. Some of them just might be worth my time to train. As I said it would depend on the person, what they say, and their attitude. Each person and situation is different, and should be examined as such.








...|||I once had a young man tell me that he wanted to be a black belt and, after discussing the life time journey of martial arts, which he did not seem to understand, his vision was still set on attaining said rank as if it was the end all and be all of martial arts.





I had him give me $35.00, filled out a certificate for him and presented him with a black belt.





I then ask him to demonstrate for me what he knew and his techniques in regards to the style I was teaching which he had to admit was virtually nothing at which time i informed him that the belt wouldn't even hold up his pants.





I then explained to him that attaining the rank of black belt meant that he had a reasonable understanding of the fundamentals of the art, its philosophy, traditions, etc., but that such was just the beginning of the life time study that would then make those same basics his own.





namaste|||If all I was doing was teaching them how to punch and kick, I'd be disappointed. However, I'm also trying to instill self-confidence, respect, a good work ethic, etc. If they work with me for the time required to get their black belt then I hope that they will be able to take those lessons with them in their life even if they never practice martial arts again.





For example, we have a guy who trained and left for college not long after he got his black belt. He graduated from Med School recently and invited our Sensei to the ceremony (on the other side of the country). Why? Because our Sensei meant that much to him. Even if he never practices martial arts again, took that work ethic and self-confidence into becoming a doctor to help people.|||I teach them, period. I've got several years to educate them to the reality that earning 1st Degree is like graduating from high school. The entire journey from White Belt to 1st Degree is learning the basics, nothing more. At 1st Degree is where you start learning the art.|||It's hard for me to answer this question since my style doesn't use belts and is also a closed system. We have a low turn over rate because we usually turn away people we feel aren't serious about their training. Plus, we're traditional and relatively esoteric so those who come seeking us know what they want and want to get it.





However, if I was teaching for income I'd have no problem training such a person as in your example. If I were teaching to enhance bring honor and glory to my system and to train disciples I'd tell them to find some one else. There's no lack of people willing to train a person with such an attitude.|||It's fine with me. I've seen people do this at yellow and brown belts. I tell them they should continue but if they don't want to then hey, they don't want to. I tell people that if they wanted to stop, 1st dan would be a respectable time to stop. It takes a lot of time and energy to get to that point and not everyone wants to be a 5th degree. I figure by Shodan you ought to know if the martial arts are for you or not .|||If they have that much focus %26amp; drive to get to Black, once there there they'll properly strive to the next level, if it's just a half wanted dream where they like the idea or perceive in there heads it's some status thing they'll most likely to only go halfway. I'd say give them a chance and see how things pan out, because you just never know!|||do people get more respect for there belts or skills nowdays like the old dude in karate kid said a belt only keeps your pants from falling . why should it matter half the teens nowdays join to learn how to kick someones butt and as for kids there parnets make theme come. but even at that everybody shows up and gets there white belt and cant wait for the black.|||That is a tough one. I guess it would come down to the attitude that goes along with the statement. If he / she has a decent attitude, yes I would teach them and hope that as they progressed through the style they would have a change of heart. We teach the "Do" or way as much through example as anything, I would hope that myself as the teacher or someone else will inspire them to continue. If that is not how it works out, then I gave it my best shot and would not have any regrets. Students come and go at all ranks for various reasons.


I don't think I could work through a bad attitude knowing they aren't going to stay. That is too much to ask.


If I have some knowledge that can help someone then it is my duty to provide that knowledge to those willing to do what it takes to receive it. However receiving that knowledge is a privilege, not a right. The one that will receive it must do their part to earn it.|||id show the book where you can order them and explain the only cost about ten bux. When they say thats not what they mean, ill explain they won't get past their first color belt if they don't plan on making it a lifestyle. I know that's how it is with my instructor, however i don't give out the belts.|||well, it seems like this person wants to master many martial arts. this person, if he/she wanted tomaster them, would keep practising them so its not as bad as " i want to become a black belt so i can have a black belt and show my friends"|||Well martial arts focused more on "destiny". So if they choose to look the other way, then that's it for them. Let everything goes naturally...|||I wouldnt care. Its up to them to choose how far they want to go. I will just teah him..|||Its simple teach them

No comments:

Post a Comment