Friday, December 9, 2011

Seat belts - life time warranty?

I dont know if this is true or false, but I have heard that the automotive safety department in the government requires that seat belts be warrented for life. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? I have a 1983 Toyota SR5 Truck that I bought brand new and want to now fix it up. The buckle portion seems inoperatable now.|||Seats belts are made of woven plastics. (Nylon? some blend?)





All materials, to include plastics, have a certain half-life. The seat belts in my (Army) helicopter had a date stencilled on them, in approximately inch-high letters. The belts had to be replaced before that date. It was regulation.





Why this is not so for civilian cars is beyond me. I do understand, though, that after about three years, any seat belt will probably fail at half it's originally rated impact speed.





The bottom line? "Don't hit nothing!" %26lt;g%26gt;





As for the buckle, if it's gone, that's a good indication you need to replace the entire belt. If it doesn't work, it cannot be (legally) driven.





wsulliva|||They aren't necessarily warranteed for life. In the event of an accident, the ones that were being used to restrain a person need to be replaced, but that is at the cost of the insurance company.





Call Toyota and ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment